Steaming Chicken Afritada still cooking on the stove.
This dish is one of my favorites, so as my son Dan. I do this recipe at lest once a month. sometimes I cook it with pork, but most of the time, I do chicken. This was our dinner last Monday night.
1 whole chicken, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup chicken liver and gizzard (optional)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 small can of tomato sauce
3 pcs. of bay leaves
1 whole red bell pepper (sliced)
2 large sized potatoes (cut in small pieces)
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
salt to taste
a pinch of MSG (optional)
1 tsp. garlic minced
1/2 medium sized onion, sliced)
2 tbs. cooking oil
1. Sautee garlic and onion in a large pot using 2 tbsp. cooking oil.
2. Add the chicken and the gizzard, soy sauce and at least 2 cups of water, ground pepper, bay leaves and half of the red bell pepper.
3. Stir frequently to avoid burning at the bottom. Add water as needed to boil the chicken . When chicken is almost done, add tomato sauce and the liver.
4. Let boil for at least 4-5 minutes, when chicken is really tender to your satisfaction, add potatoes.
5. Let boil and when potatoes are almost done, add the rest of the bell pepper, salt to taste and MSG if you prefer.
6. Makes 8-10 servings.